Forum Sensor.Community

Livetime SDS011 rather poor?

I have used the SDS011 for PM and DHT22 for temperature/humidity for about two years. Since the beginning of November, the SDS011 sends implausible values, practically 0. A restart does not bring anything, a longer break also nothing. The fan continues to run, the measurement cycle remained unchanged. No connection problem, sensor is accessible

So I have now installed a new sensor, works again with plausible measurement results: how to increase the life? Or was I just unlucky?

Second point: the DHT22 is useless for humidity measurements, always shows 100% in winter. The same with a replacement sensor. A BME280 solves the problem, I have done the same with the exchange of the SDS011.

The SDS011 is not ment to be used outdoors. So I think that’s why you won’t get the expected lifespan. Two serviceable years of operation is quite nice i think.
The DHT22 is also not designed for usage outdoors…

SDS011 is /cheap/ at around $20. Keep in perspective that many commercial systems sell for $2000-$5000. The SDS is used in many commercial systems like the aeroqual which is manufactured in california. It’s a fine little instrument and a bargain. Estimated life is 3 years, or about 300 hours of sniffing. Main impediment to accuracy is getting a good humidity reading. Out of the 30 or so that I have bought two had high readings out of the box, and one just went tits up with zero readings. So, maybe 1:10

DHT22 should be replaced by BMP280 which includes air pressure. Lukas was pretty adamant about this. I have been upgrading my sensors and tossing the DHT22.

I paid more than $20 for the SDS011, but no matter, that’s just the maintenance cost for the sensor set.

The BME280 really gives much better results than the DHT22 in terms of humidity. Is really worth its higher price.

By the way, the sensors are mounted as often suggested, protected in two 90° 70mm PVC pipe bends and in the shadow of a large parabolic antenna.
DHT22_winter_humidity

My SDS012 is now almost 4 years old and still no problems.
The sensor is indoors with tube going outdoors.
I also use a BMP280 in conjunction.
I replace this sensor regularly once a year.
Best is to locate SDS011 indoors for greater lifespan.