Sensor location - height above ground

Hi, I’m new here - I’d like to build my first sensor to monitor air quality in my neighbourhood.

The issue is - I live in an apartment on the 4th floor, so I’m not sure if I place my sensor just outside my window, will it provide any relevant data? In other words - how high is too high?

I’ve found this topic, with a few pictures of sensors in different locations, some seemingly quite high - on the roof it seems:

but no one shared the height of the installation.

I’d appreciate any help!

Good morning!
I don’t think it matters where you put it. Just write the rough distance above ground in cm. I use mine on the second floor which is around 10 meters high, but around 180cm over the floor; so I just put 180cm…

Hi, thanks for the input :slight_smile:

Generally, I’m trying to figure out how much the data will differ, vs sensors that would be at ca 2m above ground. Is there any practical difference to air pollution density between 2, 10, 15 meters of height?

I think yes, because you should bebd down when there is a fire, for example. But I think it makes a minor difference for the sensor.

As long as you give the right value in cm, it does not matter. The data have to be consistent for further usage.