SDS011 suddenly no longer available

Hi all,

I have a fairly standard setup … my ESP8266 sits on an Airrohr circuit board and I have the SDS, a BME and a DNMS attached to it.
All worked fine until ~a month ago. Suddenly the SDS does no longer provide data as it is apparently not recognized by the ESP.

*ID: 100xxxxx (e8db8499c4a4)*
*Firmware: NRZ-2020-133/DE (Nov 29 2020)*
*Übersicht » Debug Level*

*airRohr: NRZ-2020-133/DE*
*mounting FS...*
*opened config file...*
*parsed json...*
*output debug text to displays...*
*Connecting to <<myWIFI>>*
*....SNTP synced: Wed Aug 18 09:28:42 2021*

*twoStageOTAUpdate*
*output debug text to displays...*
*.*
*WiFi connected, IP is: 192.168.178.43*
*Starting Webserver... 192.168.178.43*

*ChipId: 100xxxxx*

*MAC Id: e8db8499c4a4*
*Read SDS...: *
*Stopping SDS011...*
*Read BMxE280...*
*Trying BMx280 sensor on 76 ... found*
*Read DNMS...*
*Trying DNMS sensor on 0x55H  ... found: DNM*

Of course, I already restarted multiple times (soft and hard reset), validated cables etc … Any further suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Bests,
Ralph

Try dev version or previous stable version. That might be a SW problem…

Power supplie too weak? If thé dnms is also there, you Need a good one

Ok, thx - will try another SW on the weekend. I do not think, it is a Powersupply Issue, as it was working flawlessly for weeks …

Bests,
Ralph

Did you check all the connections? Silly to say, but I had a sensor disappear once, and it appeared to be the cables weren’t connected properly. I hope you will fix it soon!

Will check again tomorrow… I did check already, but just to be sure.
If nothing changes, I’ll have to buy a ne sensor. Any recommendations? :wink:

Which did you go for? I have the exact same thing, all other sensors report fine, the SDS011 just died, out of nowhere.

I find the SDS011 never reaches the expected lifespan. Maybe the location is very hard on the sensor?

As of today, my sensor is also no longer providing data. It has done its job for two months without any problems. I now have only dashes in the fine dust values. Have already performed a reboot.

As always : wifi range or PSU…

Next weekend I’ll open the box and look for possible failures. Wifi signal is around -61 dBm. PSU is a MeanWell HDR-15-5. Webinterface and BME280 are still working. So I think something with the SDS011 is wrong.

Lifespan of SDS011 varies greatly. The SDS011has a recommended installation orientation. Did you comply?

Yes, my one is installed like the first scheme.

I mounted the sensor and other components on din-rail in a big electronic box. A silicone hose ~30-40cm goes outside the box. The Box has near the SDS011 a hole protected with mesh to let the air from the fan goes outside the box. Next weekend I’ll post a picture. Maybe someone can see where the problem is

1 Like

Have you tried to briefly remove it from the power outlet? Simply rebooting does not always work, you also need to power cycle it.

Thank you! A power cycle did the trick :smiley:

You are welcome. :grinning:
That seems to happen a lot, I wonder how many have experienced this.

At least one person… :slight_smile:

My installation is hard wired. It’s not easy to power cycle. That’s the reason I only tried to reboot. Have to install a sonoff or Shelly for next time :wink:

Make it two, please.

2 Likes