NodeMCU flashing additional info

The following notes may assist new users with the configuration.

• When flashing nodeMCU select the upload file that matches your setup i.e. the docs suggest latest_en.bin. In our experience this will only provide PM sensor data… if you have a temperature, humidity, pressure sensor like the bm280 then you will need to select latest_en_BMx_280… or other that matches your sensors.

• If you have flashed latest_en.bin in error you will need to Erase the flash and then re-flash the correct file. This will then require you setup the wifi again as per the docs.

2 Likes

I have a question , i bought the set from nettigo.
Initially the board could not be found so i downloaded the flasher in the Version 3.2 , as there was no newer variant available as excutable file for windows 11.
In the forum i found out that i could not get a wifi connection when the BME280 is already connected an flashing with a connected sensor is also not possible.
So i disconnected the BME280, erased the flash as writen here and then flashed the latest_de_BMx_280.
I restarted the device and found the device via wlan, configured the sensors but actually the devices says that the BMx 280 sensor could not be found
“Trying BMx280 sensor on 76 … not found
Trying BMx280 sensor on 77 … not foun”
, and i don’t get any data from the sensor.

Also in the menu under the topic actual sensor values it says:

Sensor Parameter Wert
SDS011 PM2.5 - µg/m³
SDS011 PM10 - µg/m³
BMP280 Temperatur - °C
BMP280 Luftdruck - hPa
WiFi Signal -60 dBm
WiFi Qualität 80 %

So not BME ist shown here but BMP.
What am i doing wrong here?
Is the sensor maybe faulty?

@Holkre, did you check if your power supply or WiFi signal is strong enough. This may have brought a mistake. If these are not the reasons, maybe try to change the menu…

Thanks for your replay, yes WiFi is great, after unplugging the Sensor the ESP can reach the AP Modus and i can reach the ESP Board and configure everything, afterwards i pluged in the Sensor and restartet the board via the configuration Menu , the board restarts and gives me sensor Data for the PM but for the BME i get the failure as noted above.

Did you register the BME280 as such or did you (maybe by mistake :slight_smile:) register it as a BMP280? In such a case the system won’t send the data because it’s misconfigured.

Otherwise check the hardware…

Yes it is registered as BME280 on the ESP Board and also under https://devices.sensor.community/ .
When i first setup the sensor i mistakenly marked BMP and not BME but changed it , but the change did not have any impact.

Please check solderings and conections and send me pictures. It should work like that.

I spoke to nettigo, they will send me another BME280 Sensor, they suppose that the sensor is maybe faulty because BMP is shown in the Board Setup since there is common “check” for both BME280 & BMP280 in config.
First the Board tries to init BME. If BME init fails then tries init BMP. If both fail, then BMP is still shown as ‘configured’ one in the Sensor Overview of the Board.
I will get back to that thread when i receive my new sensor and report.

1 Like

Hey there, it turns out that my hairness had a wrong pining which has switched 5V and Gnd and killed my sensor, i received a new hairness with correct pinning, now everything works fine.
Only BMP is shown in the Sensor check under Debug Level since there is common “check” for both BME280 & BMP280 in config. First it tries to init BME. If BME init fails then tries init BMP. If both fail, then BMP is still shown as ‘configured’ one.

This was a real eye-opener.

I was naive enough to order my BME280 from Ebay, so it’s anybody’s guess what I’ve actually got.

Sorry, I drifted the thread off a bit. Bringing it back, the OP is dead right: I have a BMP280 (I think) and “latest_en.bin” only gave me data from the PM censor. I used “latest_en_BMx280.bin” and now I have temperature and air pressure correctly.

So it would probably be a good idea to incorporate it into the build instructions.