Implementation of new Sensirion SEN-5X sensors

Is anyone already working on implementation of the new Sensirion SEN-5X platform sensors?

https://sensirion.com/de/produkte/katalog/?filter_series=ceff880a-784d-4877-ae2c-79353c6a0428

As they provide PM2.5, VOC, Humidity and NOx in a single module, wiring, cases etc. would be much easier than before.

3 Likes

It is some I2C with a library from Sensirion. Should not that complicated but Sensirion forgot to send me a sample :rofl:

1 Like

These sensors are only measuring some kind of NOx index. They would need to measure down to and below 50 ppb (parts per billion!) to be useful in outdoor use. But I couldn’t find any specs.
Also no mention of recalibration intervals (even CO2 needs recalibration once per year) …
The first thing people will ask for is “how many days per year the NO2 level was over the allowed limit?”

Well, it is not required to use the NOx values. It is kind of a luxury problem. One can just work with the rest: PM, Temp & Humidity. Already this would reduce the amount of soldering required, allow for easier housing and be much cheaper than buying an SPS30 and BME280.

If I send you a sample, will you do it? :grin:

Yes! I have already done the NextPM and the IPS-7100. But I am currently moving up.

Thanks, sample incoming! :wink:

Who wants to test ?

D1_mini added in the .ini file.

I have a SEN54 up and running on my desk! Next step is to send data to sensor.community. Is there any progress in developing firmware that supports this new sensor? Alternatively I could write my own software and send the SEN54 data to sensor.community and writing data to the SPS30+SHT31 sensor variables and not sending VOC index?

Hey Bert,

check this out: sensors-software/airrohr-firmware at beta-sen5x · opendata-stuttgart/sensors-software · GitHub

1 Like

It works but you need to know Platformio to flash. Feel free to contact me.

Hey there, do you have any update regarding implementation of your SEN5x-firmware into the public branch to install it with the standard flashing tool?

Cheers
M

P.S.: thinking of a larger distribution project, so it would really great to make the SEN5x platform available for non-expert users.

I can ask the others. I would also be possible to build a bin an flash it with a generic flasher. The problem is always the same the Master firmware can’t exceed 50 % of the eeprom size…

Would be great. Setup should work the same way as for the Master software so users are not confused. Would also be important that the data from those sensors is correctly shown on maps, APIs etc. SEN5x could be a huge leap forward for the initiative as PM, humidity AND temperature are available for less than 20 USD - plus soldering efforts are reduced by ~60-70%. I will also create a 3D-printed case for the SEN5X soon.

Thanks, but I can’t figure out how to build the flashing software from the source code you suggested.
I have the D1_mini up and running now using my own program in Arduino but for now only sending data to the Arduino IDE. I thought it would be easy to add some code which posts the data to the API at sensor community?
The code should be something like this:

msg.headers = {
“X-Pin”: “1”,
“X-Sensor”: “esp8266-xxxxxxx”
};
msg.payload = {
“software_version”: “my_script”,
“sensordatavalues”: [
{“value_type”: “P0”, “value”: parseFloat(massConcentrationPm1p0)},
{“value_type”: “P1”, “value”: parseFloat(massConcentrationPm2p5)},
{“value_type”: “P2”, “value”: parseFloat(massConcentrationPm10p0)},
]
};
do: send message (every 5 minutes )to https://api.sensor.community/v1/push-sensor-data/

Would be nice if someone can help me out with this.
Thanks!

I started making a 3D-printed outdoor case:

Sending data to sensor community still not working…seems more difficult than I thought.

2 Likes

Hi,

I have problems building the firmware with VSCode too.
Sadly I can’t send you a private message @pjg as requested on github.

Just have some patience, I can upload the beta version now (actually not difficult to compile), but it still does not work because Madavi is not accepting it (measurements are fine). Jpg and Madavi are working on this right now. My advise for uploading using VS: Important to erase ESP memory before upload! Download from github the code as a zip, unzip and start VS, now activate platformio first. Then within platformio select the proper directory with a platformio file (in firmware). Then select correct board at the bottom line of platformio and upload.

Info that is missing for the SEN5x firmware test is the settings for devices.sensor.community, this appears to be defined in ext_def.h as PIN 16, see: #define SEN5X_API_PIN 16. Should I test again with PIN 16 as a devices.sensor.community setting?