Connect sensor via Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol

Hello,

I am using a Node MCU ESP8266 and the NRZ-2020-133 firmware.
I am now trying to connect two air pollution sensors to a Wi-Fi using a Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol (PEAP) without certificate but I cannot find a way to do it.

Any thoughts about this ?

Many thanks for your help,

Marie-Laure

Hello,
the actual firmware doesn’t support PEAP, only WPA2 with PSK. PEAP would need to much memory in the actual version.

Hello @ricki-z , many thanks for such a quick and clear reply.
Do you think this would be an option to modify the firmware myself ?
Or to “create” a new firmware ? (I have no big coding experience, I only know Python or R).
Have a nice day,
Marie-Laure

Hi @MarieLaureAix
it would be hard to change our firmware to support PEAP or to write an own version for the ESP8266.
But it’s possible to use a Raspberry PI with the SDS011 an a BME280 to get a system that could send to our API. There is some code at GitHub - corny/luftdaten-python: Python program for the luftdaten.info sensor network (e.g. usage with Raspberry-Pi) that might need some adjustments (hostnames, paths, …) to get it working. But the Raspbian base system should be able to connect via PEAP and the code of the script is in Python.

Hi @ricki-z thank you so much for your reply. Do you know if there is such an option for PMS7003 + DHT22 sensors ?
Have a nice day and thanks again !
Marie-Laure

There is a library at Github with a minimal docu and example code. You would need to search how to connect the serial interface of the PMS7003 to the Raspberry Pi and change the “corny” code to use this library.
With that it should be possible to send the PMS7003 data to our database.

Hi @ricki-z, many thanks for your reply. I will try to use your code together with a Raspberry Pi. Best regards, Marie-Laure

Hello again, I was wondering if there is a criteria for Wi-Fi which allows us to be sure that it will be possible to connect our device to it. As an example, do our ESP8266 work with Wi-Fi A (IEEE 802.11a), Wi-Fi B (IEEE 802.11b), Wi-Fi G (IEEE 802.11g) or IEEE 802.11n ? Many thanks, Marie-Laure

Hi @MarieLaureAix,

we are limited to what the ESP8266 and the libraries for this are supporting. And the available RAM and flash are also limiting what is possible (the reason why server certs larger than 2048bit aren’t really working).
The hardware is only working on 2.4GHz, the libraries should support 802.11n.

1 Like