BME680 detecting smoke gas (CO2, CO from wood stoves)

request to add BME680 as featured sensor. i know it was discussed some years back, but there is now a very good adruino library with also good community behind. plus sensor is very low cost (~7$ from CH)

I was searching for a sensor to measure not only Feinstaub/particulate matter but also “giftige Rauchgase”/smoke gases like CO2 and VOCs (CO,…). Due to that heavy use of wood stoves and “holzofengate” this winter, I have setup a ESP8266 with BME680 and pretty reasonable results. I started sharing my expirences here https://twitter.com/sulzbichl/status/1576517261539827713 or https://twitter.com/sulzbichl/status/1577538329930829826 or if needed i can also add more data here.

I recently got many times the request, how to setup something similar. But in my opinion it makes sense to add this sensor to your current airrohr. To make the topic of air polution due to wood stoves more visible, it is important to have many sensors also in the residential areas.

The setup solves also the issue, that it takes alot of time of calibration, by saving the calibrated values to EEPROM. I’m happy to share the code, if you think about adding the sensor

3 Likes

Maybe the Sensirion SEN55 is the better platform for this, as it is only one sensor featuring PM, Temp, Hum, VOC and NOx

I would say that having BME680 as one of possible sensors to choose for temperature, humidity, pressure and something else is enough reasonable. I know that ESP8266 has limitations, but this project to still run and grow, beside adding such kind of not always the cheapest sensor, should also go on in direction of newer board as ESP32.
I know there are different versions of ESP32, I’m not a programist, so do electronic, but in last days I tested 2 versions of wroom 32e and 32u and here we are coming to main point, version u with antenna socket is great and do not limited us to place where is home router wifi range, for such kind of module you might use external small antena, instead of built-in and I have no issue with board that is in/out of the range.

1 Like

Hi, I’m also interested in integrating electronic nose sensor and was considering BME680.
Looks like you already did the integrantion. This is great.
Could you please share the code?
This will help a lot of people like me.

Thanks a lot!