WiFi connection problems

WPS is off, no guest networks enabled.

Have you seen all this post ?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042475/

Some of them. I will try the solutions from the others tomorrow. Thanks for the links.

This setup allows the sensor to work. Legacy without ā€œb/g protectionā€ caused Samsung S8 to throw ā€œno internetā€ error when connecting to the router. With b/g it works fine.

1 Like

An update from my end:

I upgraded my Ai-Mesh setup and replaced the N66U with an AC68U. The other nodes (AC86U) and the 68 all run the latest merlin firmware. As the ESP8266 devices refuse to connect to the AC86U I bind them to the 68U in the Ai-Mesh setup and had no problems for several months. In the last days I played with guest wifi and other settings and this caused one of the ESP8266 devices to refuse to connect anymore. If I move it close to the 68U it connects, but if it has to connect to one of the AC86U (just to be then pushed to the 68U) it fails to connect.

I changed the 2.4GHz settings according to snbforum recommendations and also doing the same as shown above - with no success. Guest wifi is disabled again. A workaround which solves the issue is to attach a small TPlink repeater via ethernet to one of the AI-Mesh nodes, run it as AP with a dedicated IoT SSID. That works. And I have the feeling that the ESPs are much more responsive now.

As AC68U and AC86U run on the same firmware (always the latest Merlin build) I suspect the low-level wifi drivers which are not touched by Merlin and which are different for the two modelsā€¦

@Ezhick: The screenshot shows channel 13. This channel is only legal to use in certain regions. Most wifi devices unaware of their location will not use this channel at all. Thereā€™s usually a configuration setting to tell the firmware what regularly domain applies. The same applies if you set the routers channel to automatic. Then the connection work everytime it uses 1-12 but fails as soon at it switches to 13. I had exactly this issue with my new ESP8266. As soon as I disabled channel 13 on my router everything worked as expected.