What sensors can be used?

PM2.5 and PM10 are measurands, not sensors.
SPS30 is a sensor, measuring PM1, PM2.5 and PM10. So devices with that sensor are shown on the maps for PM2.5 and PM10.

And PM4.0, but I cannot see them all on the map. So why buying an expensive sensor wthout the data for all the measurements? SPS30 is more accurate. Could there come an addition to the map for PM1.0?

For now, it is not possible to select the sensor type so the categories in the dropbox list have to fit to all the sensor. If you need a map with a “sensor select” function for professional reasons, just take contact with me per Email (just look in the main website, according to my initials).

There are only very few sensors in our database measuring PM4 (only 40 SPS30), some more are measuring PM1 (around 500).
In most countries you could be happy to have official measurements for PM2.5. So there is no possibility to compare the values for PM1 or PM4 to anything.
Another problem is the ‘accuracy’ of the SPS30. A noteworthy part of them is showing the same values for mostly all fractions after some time which would be very unlikely.

I read that it is recommended to use a 6-pin BME280. Can this 4-pin GY-BME280 also be used instead?

Yes. Some people say that 6pin version is more accurate. Though both should work fine!

1 Like

It may be true because of additional LDO on 4 pin version. Every LDO is a weak heat source, but in theory it can influence measurements.

1 Like

Hi, why should it be, that using I2C changes the values? BME280 supports I2C on two addresses and it supports SPI. The Interface-control is by Sofware-interface. Availability of I2C/SPI is through BOB, BME280 is always both. QS is very much dependant on soldering temperature(heating of sensor-element)

Hello. I am trying to mount the sps30 sensor, the BME280 meter and an SSD1306 OLED display on an ESP8266 v3. They all connect to pins D3 and D4, so I made a connection of the three wires from each device to a single wire to each pin … but they stop working. Any alternative connection? or if I use the base for V3: https://n9.cl/8v1rz on aliexpress, would they all work at the same time?
Regards and thanks for your help!

Hello,
in this case there is an ‘incompatibility’ between the SPS30 and some other I2C components. Cause is the different I2C speed the components are requesting.
It’s working if there is only a SPS30 connected. And it’s working if the BME280 and the display are connected. You may try to use the BME280 and the SPS30 (should also work). But all 3 seems to cause problems.

Thanks for the reply. I tried only the SPS30 and it works, but if I join the BME280 and / or the screen, the sensirion stops showing data, so I will only connect the SPS30.
Regards.

Lodie

Mar 4

I’ve been running the default setup SDS011+BME280 for awhile now and the BME280 is pretty accurate but the PM10 of the SDS011 is sometimes way off. Because of this and the comment that the SPS30 is more accurate I bought a SPS30 and created a second node with SHT35 and SPS30. The SHT35 is way off (could be the casing) and SPS30 shows a lot of times the same values for PM1 to PM10 while it’s almost sitting outside the cage. The same issue for SPS30 is described in SPS30 PM10 no difference to PM2.5 · Issue #673 · opendata-stuttgart/sensors-software · GitHub

Hello.
My SPS30 is working since yesterday and I also observe this same behavior, although the SDS011 today is also setting quite close values

Related to the above message, I wrote an email to Sensirion and they replied the following:
“Attached you can find the PM Sensor Statement on Sensor Specification (1). It explains the working principle of SPS30 and the limitations of consumer grade optical PM sensors. PM4.0 and PM10 are not measured but estimated based on the distribution of PM 1.0 and PM 2.5. If there is manly PM 1.0 particles but few PM2.5 one can assume that there are only few coarser particles. Other manufacturers have different approaches and apply fixed factors to the PM2.5 output for PM4.0 and PM10. Thies values are higher then the one of SPS30 but this doesn’t mean they are more accurate.”

(1)Sensirion_Particulate_Matter_AppNotes_Specification_Statement.pdf

I’ve started using an SPS30 as well, but I’m curious if it’s supposed to stay in “measurement mode” the whole time? The SDS011’s fan turns on for about 20~25 seconds, completes its measurement, and then goes into sleep mode for 2 minutes or so.
The SPS30’s fan runs continuously. Is that supposed to happen?
Thanks!